#LifeBooksWriting - A day in my Life

Depending on what day it is, I'm normally up at 6.45am. I have 2 teenagers at school which means getting them up and ready to leave at 8.15am. It's full on, making lunches, ironing uniforms, making sure they eat and most importantly making the time for me to eat. Once they are away, if I'm not working outside the home, I can dedicate the next 5 hours to writing. This is a good day. 
Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays are another story. I live in an area that takes me twenty minutes to reach a major shopping center. So once my kids leave, I'm in the car heading for the supermarket to do grocery shopping, before racing home to put it all away and get ready for work which begins at 11.45am. It takes me half an hour to get to work so I normally leave around 11.10am to get there in good time. I scarf lunch down somewhere in that time, drive to work and then stay there until 2.45pm, reaching the school for afternoon pickup around 3.05pm. 
There's homework to help with, spending time chatting and asking about their days with a window of around an hour where I can write, if I'm lucky, before beginning on dinner.
I try to write every day, even if it's only a paragraph! 
Nights are normally easier, once dinner is over. The kids are old enough to do their own thing and generally do, unless my daughter wants to talk 'boy bands' in which case it's an epically loooon conversation that I graciously listen to and nod in all the right places! (all the while trying to determine what my ptotagonist is going to do next! 
Most days it's rinse and repeat. My housework gets done when it gets done. I'm not too messy but sometimes the laundered clothes pile up, waiting to be put away and the floor could do with a vaccuum. I'm not perfect but I'm a mother first and foremost so my main priority is making sure my kids are happy and taken care of. :-) 

Comments